Penne is less than a 30-minute drive from Casa Anatra and holds their market until 1pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you drive to Penne, be sure to drive a little farther to Loreto Aprutino.
Distance from Casa Anatra: 10km
*TIP: Park outside of town and walk in; some alleys become too narrow to allow even compact automobiles. Note: Keep in mind that most shops close between 1:30pm and 4:00pm
Things to see:
- Church of San Nicola, attached to the tower of the ancient medieval walls
- Church of Sant’Agostino, Romanesque and re-decorated in the baroque style
- Palaces, including the Bono-Pilotta with Baroque portal and 18th-century frescoes, and the 17th-century Castiglione De Leone
- The Cathedral, which contains precious works of art, such as a 15th-century holy water basin, a 12th-century altar, and a crypt dating back to the early centuries of the Christian era.
- Museo Civico-Diocesano
- Riserva Naturale Lago di Penne, est in 1987 around the artificial lake southwest of Penne, includes a Botanical Garden and an area where sick and wounded birds are nurtured back to health and then released in the Reserve, which hosts over 160 species of birds.
- 7 May: Festa di S. Massimo
- Late July: Trofeo Fonte Manente, a competition for players of a typical instrument, the “ddu ‘bbotte”
- Early August: Beer Festival
- November: Premio Penne Literary Award
- Osteria del Leone
- Ristorante Tatobbe
- Ristorante La Grotta
- Bar Centrale: close to all three restaurants referenced above and a late-night local favorite with an upbeat atmosphere, snacks and great service. SEE ON MAP
Where to stay: